|THE PENNINE RAILWAY SOCIETY
President: Geoffrey Bambrough
Membership Sec: Michael May
Chairman & Fixtures Sec: Robin Skinner
Treasurer: John Sanderson
Magazine Editor: Jon Davis
NOTES FROM THE COMMITTEE
The main news this month concerns our success in obtaining a regular meeting place where members can get together and enjoy social evenings. We have managed to hire a room at the Masons Arms public house situated in the Market Place at Doncaster. Social evenings will be held monthly, on the first Monday of each month. All members are welcome to attend. Our thanks are extended to Robin Skinner for his efforts in obtaining this venue.
You will note that our charges for the next visit to Doncaster Works and Shed have risen sharply. Any increases are regretted, but unfortunately if BR. charge us more for permits then we have no alternative but to pass this on to our members. However we do keep our charges as low as possible and many will already realise that they are lower than those of many of the larger railway societies.
We hope to announce a new list of holiday preview trips for the coming autumn in our September magazine.
We are glad to see our President Geoff Bambrough back in good health again.
Monday August 4th – “Masons Arms”, Market Place, Doncaster.
Members Slides – all members are welcome to bring a selection of their railway slides. The meeting will run from 19.30 – 22.00. For those who don‟t know where the pub is, meet at Doncaster Station at 19.15.
Sunday August 10th.
Doncaster Locomotive Works and Shed. (11.00AM)
Meet HEXTHORPE ROAD ENTRANCE (behind “The Plant”) at 10.45.
Cost 40p (Members 35p) Bookings to John Sanderson.
Monday 1st September.
“Masons Arms”, Market Place, Doncaster.
Mr J. Davis – Railways at Darnall.
LOCOMOTIVE STOCK ALTERATIONS
W/E 10th May: 08331-SB; 31107-TI; 31124/32 47039-IM; 31165/296 47103/5-WR; 31213/55-FP; 31272/302 47047/9-HO; 31287 37166-TE; 37034/43/55/7/9-MR; 37082 40052 47050/2-GD; 47003/4/5/167/72-SF; 47376-KY; 47542/3-HO;
W/E 31st May: 03107-GD; 08745-DR;
W/E 7th June: 08099-BG; 47886-HO; 47296-KY; 47306-LMR;
W/E 21st June: 08930-SF;
DUAL BRAKES FITTED: 08889/930; 31195/209; 40124/76; 45039/53; 47042
W/E 12th April: 50016-LA; 31230/1-OC;
W/E 10th May: 46021/2/3/4/5/6/8/47/8/9/51-CF; 47069/70/2/105-CF; 50020/1-LA; 47001/20/4/30/1/3/5-LA; 47140/6/7/57/464-LE; 25093/4/6/8; 31165/261/2/96 47066/75-BR;
W/E 17th May: 08414/78-BR; 08952-SCR;
W/E 7th June: 47249-LMR; 25171/2/238-CF;
W/E 14th June: 08006-BR; 08081-OC; 08323-EJ; 08853-SCR; 08893-LMR:(SY) 08936-BR;
DUAL BRAKES FITTED: 47103/5/21/9 50021
BOILER FITTED: 47103/5;
LONDON MIDLAND REGION
W/E 5th April: 08938-ED;
W/E 3rd May: 08505-GM;
W/E 10th May: 40041-HA; 24110 25230/2/3-IS; 25234/7/40/1/6-ED;
W/E 17th May: 08414-WR(EJ); 08952 20039-ED; 20223-HA;
W/E 24th May: 20024/7/34/85 24065-ED; 20179/84/216/21-HA;
W/E 7th June: 08952-HN; 20024/7/39/85 47141/207/8/317/8-HA; 24111-ED;
W/E 14th June: 08323-WR(EJ); 08853-ED;
DUAL BRAKES FITTED: 08852 20089;
BOILER REMOVED: 27204;
LOCOMOTIVES WITHDRAWN: 1006/50; 02001/3/4; 03058/104/55; 06010; 83003;
27118 to 27203; 27122 to 27204; 36 to 45031; 45 to 45036; 70 to 45048; 86042 to 86255; 86043 to 86257; 86046 to 86258; 86045 to 86259; 86048 to 86260;
EMU: New Unit 094 formed of M76998 M62119 M70780 M76193
DMU: 54451/518/9545-SCR; 51122/4/444/6071/462/7-NL; 51127/485/6401/65/6-NR; 50253/65/1482/9/91/2/6468/71/2/3-BG; 51490/6463-LN; 51226/30/6398/405-DN; 55024/9-RG; 50072/105/015/33/40/2/3/1110/2/7/9/29/42 56411/70/9009/126/439-TS; 50868/918/1063/5/70/91/3/8/1576/80/9/90/9422/4/9/538/82/6-LA; 51070/98/445/6/9/50/2/515/7/21/2/3/9429/546/7/9/50/1-BR; 59528/43-CF; 51251-ED;
BR. AWS. 50614/6/54/67/953 56192/201/4/44.
W.R. AWS. REMOVED: 50872 51305/20/37/9/47/51/2/3/5/61/6/70/9 51382/9/93/4/5/7/99 51403/8/12 52087/8/91/8/9/103 55021/2 55992 56280/1
COACHING STOCK NEWS
TO EASTERN REGION:
TO MIDLAND REGION:
TO SCOTTISH REGION:
TO SOUTHERN REGION:
TO WESTERN REGION:
A large number of withdrawn Mark 1 coaches have recently arrived in the Sheffield area for cutting up. Noted at Parkgate on 4th May were 4083;13061;13100;15588;15983;15985;16056;24281;25661. These were followed in early June by 13029;13060;13114;13118;13201;13223;15254;15415;15688;
Bullion van M99202 was seen heading north through Rugby on 16th June. On the 19th June Bullion van E99204 was noted heading north through Doncaster hauled by 31401 (IG70) accompanied by Bogie for Bullion van E99500. Bogie for Bullion van E99501 was noted at Stratford on 20th June.
For information included in the above section we are indebted to Messrs G Calvert, J. Glossop, M. May, D. Morris, A. Pett, J. Sanderson.
HOLIDAY PREVIEWS FROM SHEFFIELD:
Subject to confirmation the following Holiday Preview day excursions will run from Sheffield.
AUGUST 26th: BERWICK and EDINBURGH.
SEPTEMBER 6th: DUNOON.
SEPTEMBER 13th: CARDIFF and TENBY.
SEPTEMBER 27th: EDINBURGH, PERTH, PITLOCHRY.
OCTOBER 4th: TORQUAY and PAIGNTON.
OCTOBER 11th: BLUEBELL RAILWAY.
OCTOBER 18th: WINCHESTER/PORTSMOUTH/ISLE OF WIGHT.
OCTOBER 25th: SOUTHAMPTON/BOURNEMOUTH.
NOVEMBER 1st: EDINBURGH/DUNDEE.
TRAINS OVER WOODHEAD
by MR. J. GLOSSOP
It was on the evening of the 5th January 1970 that the last scheduled passenger train ran over the Woodhead line, before its closure to passenger traffic. Passenger trains still operate on weekdays on the section between Manchester and Hadfield and Penistone and Sheffield.
It was decided in 1832 by the Sheffield, Ashton under Lyne and Manchester Railway Company (SAMR) formed in 1828, to build a railway from Sheffield to Manchester via Penistone, Woodhead and Hadfield, with a tunnel at the Woodhead summit. This was not though the original idea, which had been to build the line up the Rivelin Valley and on to Manchester via Chapel-en-le-Frith and Stockport. This route though required 6½ miles of tunnel, and so was not financially viable.
By 1838 the money to build the line had been raised, providing certain economies were made. These necessitated terminating the line at Bridgehouses (Nursery Street) in Sheffield instead of taking the line through to the cattle market, temporarily abandoning the idea of a branch to Stalybridge and building only a single bore tunnel at Woodhead. The estimated cost of the line with economies was now £700,000.
By spring 1841 trains were being run between Manchester and Godley, and in December the line was open as far as Broadbottom. By New Year 1842 the line was opened to Glossop (now Dinting) and Shore St. Station in Manchester was opened in May. By August 1844 the whole of the section from Woodhead to Manchester was opened and at the same time work was begun on a branch to Glossop. Trains were also being operated between Dunford Bridge and Sheffield at this time, 5 each way daily.
Work on the Woodhead tunnel was begun in 1838, it was built on a gradient of 1 in 201 rising eastwards. They began tunnelling from each end, and met in the middle, being only a few inches out. Construction of the tunnel lasted over 6 years with up to 1,500 men being employed at any one time. Wages were high for the men, ranging from 4/- to 8/- a week. They used 157 tons of gun powder and over 8 million tons of water had to be pumped out. The cost of building the tunnel was £200,000, with twenty six deaths mainly due to men going to work drunk. The tunnel was completed in December 1845 and the Board of Trade inspection took place on the 20th December. It was 3 miles 22 yds long and at that time was the longest tunnel in the world.
The opening of the whole line took place on the 22nd December 1845. A special train of directors ran to and from Manchester, consisting of 20 coaches and 2 locomotives all suitably decorated for the occasion.
As soon as the line was opened, Woodhead became the big bottle neck, and in 1847 the building of the second tunnel was authorised. Working conditions were much better than in the building of the first, but in 1849 some workmen returned from Ashton bringing cholera with them. The disease rampaged through the camp, and all the navvies fled. Work was begun again in 1851 and was completed later that year, with an electric telegraph being laid through the tunnel. The tunnel was opened in 1852 and the old tunnel immediately closed for 7 years back repair work to be done.
In 1850 Sheffield Victoria station was opened to replace Bridgehouses and in the same year Shore St. Station in Manchester was renamed London Road (Piccadilly). In 1860 the SAMR was amalgamated to form the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway (MSLR), known locally as muck, sludge and lightning.
In the late 19th century the railway became part of the Great Central Railway which was one of the 123 railway companies amalgamated in 1923 to form the four large companies, LMS, LNER, SR, GWR. The Great Central was divided up between the LNER and LMS, the Woodhead line becoming part of the LNER.
Before the 2nd World War the directors of the LNER approved an £11m scheme to electrify the Woodhead line between Woodhouse and London Road Manchester with branches to Wath, Glossop, Ashton Park and Manchester Central. Work was begun just before the war, when it came to an abrupt end by which time the only section from Woodhead to Manchester had been completed. Only one locomotive had been built classified EMI, it was numbered 6701. It was tested on the Altrincham line and in 1947 was loaned to the Netherlands Railways where it was used to clear snow. It was in the Netherlands that the locomotive gained the name Tommy and a special commemorative plaque which read, Tommy so named by the drivers of the Netherlands state railways to whom this locomotive was loaned 1947-1952.
When British Railways was formed in 1948, the electrification scheme was continued. At Woodhead it was decided to build a completely new tunnel. Electrification of the rest of the line was completed by 1951 and the tunnel was opened later in the year. Freight traffic began to use the new tunnel, but passenger traffic continued to use the old tunnels and be steam hauled. The line was completely signalled with the new colour light signalling.
As the 58 EMI locomotives were limited to 65 mph they were considered unsuitable for passenger duty and so 7 class EM2 locomotives were built specially for passenger duty. They were introduced in 1954 when the old tunnels were closed and all traffic became concentrated on the new tunnel.
In January 1967 British Rail issued the “Withdrawal of Railway Passenger Services” notices proposing an end to passenger services in June. Protests dragged on for over 2 years but passenger services finally ended on January 5th 1970.
NOTES AND NEWS
The 20.52 Leeds-Derby continues to provide a variety of motive power. Locomotives noted recently have included 31150, 311265, 31323, 31106, 31169, 31168,
Several members recently travelled on a special Branch Line tour train from Sheffield , Dronfield and Chesterfield which ran to Dinting, travelling on branch lines in South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. The highlight of the trip was the historic first passenger train run over the Shirebrook „new curve‟. The trip on 17th May was behind a 2x2 car DMU. The trip was organised by the Midland Project Group.
The 11.00 Sheffield –St Pancras was another interesting class 31 working on 23rd May with 31419 providing the power. On 24th May 47088 “Samson” worked the 10.42 Sheffield-Scarborough holiday train.
A Haymarket 47 straying far from home was 47270 which was seen entering Sheffield with IE02 FO. Newquay-Sheffield.
A scenic tour was organised by the Sheffield Division on June 1st to Newcastle and Carlisle. The train from Chesterfield, Sheffield, Rotherham and Mexborough ran up the East Coast main line from Doncaster to Newcastle (being routed round the back of Tyne Yard) before going on to Carlisle after a lunch stop in Newcastle. The train returned via the Settle and Carlisle line.
Heavy delays have occurred recently on trains from the South and the West of England. On 6th June 47149 entered Sheffield with IE63, 11.39 from Poole to Leeds/Newcastle running 105 minutes late. This delay was slight compared to 30th June when the “Devonian” entered Sheffield 220 minutes late hauled by 46004 which was dragging 37298. The Cornishman followed this in, running 88 minutes late.
A Society trip to Doncaster Works on 8th June saw 37218 in the Works with extensive collision damage to one cab. The following Deltic's were noted: 55004/55011/55022/55008/55009.
March shunters at Peterborough on 17th June consisted of 08272/339/406/427/713. The Sleaford shunter on 18th June was 03026 whilst 03025 was noted at Boston on the same day.
Lack of traffic on the Woodhead route has resulted in the closure of signal boxes at Sheffield Victoria No1 and at Blackmoor Crossing (near Penistone).
On 1st July the up “Tees-Tyne Pullman” entered Doncaster with an unidentified Class 31 piloting 55006 and running 45 mins late.
LONDON MIDLAND REGION.
A visit to Nuneaton on 15th June saw normal working resumed on the West Coast main line following the recent disaster involving a Euston-Glasgow overnight train, apart from a 20mph speed restriction on all lines. However the scars of the disaster were still very much apparent. Heavy repairs works were in progress. Numerous ballast trains were in evidence, one noted behind 44006. On the same day 44004 was seen outside Rugby.
A Society visit to Crewe Works on 29th June saw an unusually large number of locomotives. A total of 31 class 40s were noted along with 38 class 47s. Work was progressing slowly with 47601 (ex 47046) the forerunner of the new class 56 locomotives. This is to be equipped with the new style front headlights. Locomotives requiring extensive repairs following accidents included 47553, 86242, 84005.
Due to engineering work on the WCML on 29th June the 09.15 Euston-Glasgow arrived at Crewe 60 mins late with 50034 piloting 87002 and with 47214 at the rear of the train.
Mid-morning visits to Paddington on 20th June and 4th July produced no sightings of Westerns. However, on 4th July 3 class 47 namer's were in the station at the same time, 47082/088/091.
Withdrawn Hymek 7011 left Old Oak Common on 2nd July for cutting up. The locomotive left on 9Z41 Old Oak Common-Attercliffe (Sheffield), dragged at a maximum speed of 25mph. The locomotive has been purchased by Messrs W. Hazelwood.
A visit to Old Oak Common on 13th July revealed only 2 Hymek's, those being 7017 and 7029 both of which are scheduled for preservation. Also noted were Westerns 1010/16/43/47/69.
Waterloo and City unit 083 was noted at Selhurst on 13th July about to enter the Works. A further unit had just been painted and will leave the Works shortly. Waterloo shunter on the same day was 09001.
For the above information we are indebted to Messrs G. Calvert, J. Davis, M. Davies, B. Monks, J. Sanderson, R. Skinner, R. Whitlam.
Noted outside Doncaster Works on 14th July was 31015 (SF) the “Star of South Wales” (FALCON) has again been put into store.
The Royal Train was seen travelling empty through Rotherham on 18th July. The train will return to South Yorkshire on 29th July with the Queen on board.