Stationary Boiler Photographs

All photographs are reproduced by kind permission of the Railway Magazine and various individuals.

One for the Purists !!!!

     Inspired by the articles on SB's, I decided to create this one on my 'OO' model railway, a Lima Fowler 4F being the donor loco!
     Photo: Paul Anderson

 


 

Aberdare

    
Ex. GWR Pannier Tank No.7408 was one of a minority of stationary boilers hooked up for use indoors, in this case inside Aberdare roundhouse
     on July 5 , 1964. Photo: Keith Jones

 

 

Accrington 1

     Ex  L&YR 0-4-4T No. 636 (BR boiler 903) at Accrington on 25th June 1961.
     Photo: John J G Wilson (copyright Alan Inckle).

 

 

Accrington 2

    
Ex  L&YR 0-4-4T No. 636 (BR boiler 903) at Accrington in 1960
     Photo: David Dyson.





Ashford Works 1

     Old boilers at Ashford Works 1966.  Photo: Roger Jones

    

 

 

Ashford Works 2

     SER Wainwright Class C 0-6-0 No. 31271 (Departmental DS 240) at Ashford Works on 29th May 1966.
     Photo: John J G Wilson (copyright Alan Inckle).

 

 


Ayr

     Ayr MPD's stationary boiler thought to be from an ex. Caledonian Railway 3F, stands alongside former LMS "Crab" No.42702
     which is under repair. circa 1960. :Photo D A McNaught

 



Blackpool Central
 
     Few stationary boilers were visible to the public at close range, but these two ex.LYR 0-4-4T's at Blackpool Central Station were exceptions. They were
     among the longest serving of all SB's, heating carriages next to the platforms for about half a century, and were photographed on June 9th 1962. Note
     the piles of ash and char. Photo: Fred Henley.
 



 

Blackpool North 1

     With a chimney soaring to some 20ft. in height, an ex.LYR&YR Barton Wright 0-4-0 stands in carriage sidings at Blackpool North on August 4, 1960.
     Photo:  ????

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Blackpool North 2

      Ex  L&YR 0-4-4T No. 636 (BR boiler 903) at Blackpool north on 9th June 1962..
     Photo: Fred Henley


 



Boston Sleeper Depot

   
 Boiler No. 857 or 859 seen on 18th August 1959.
     Photo. John Smith

 

 

 


Brentford Docks

     GWR pannier style boiler powering pumping engines on 22nd June 1963.
     Photo. John Smith

 

 


 

Bridgend

    
5700 Class pannier tank No.7734 awaiting scrap at Bridgend. At one time it had been SB at Leamington.
     Photo: Dave Glossop

 


 

Bromsgrove

     A "Caley" Pug a long way from home: Scottish Region 0-4-0ST No.56020 was sent to Bromsgrove in the mid 1950's to pump and heat fuel oil for the oil
     burning Licker banker, Beyer Garratt No.69999. It is seen in the Worcestershire town's depot/wagon works area. Another loco, ex-LYR 0-4-0ST No.51217
    was also sent to Bromsgrove for this duty in 1955. Photo: Rail Photoprints

 

Caerphilly Works

Two Rhymney Railway "R" class boilers, one off GWR No. 37, being installed in the Caerphilly Carriage Shops stationary boiler plant, in March 1957.
 Photo: Eric Mountford
 


 

Carmarthen Pumping House Dec 1965

     Pictured at the old pumping house, Carmarthen, West Wales, in December 1965. It appears to be a standard GWR boiler. The pumphouse
    abstracted water from the River Towy about one mile north of Carmarthen Station, adjacent to the Carmarthen to Aberystwyth line.  Water was
    pumped to Carmarthen Engine Shed, 87G, until the shed's closure in 1964. The site was prone to flooding by the river, as the photos show.
                                      Photo: David Goddard

Darlington

    Ex-LNER Raven 4-6-2 No.2400? (confirmation required please) at Darlington Works c.1938.  Photo - not known

 

     Devonport Dockyard  Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST No.14 at Devonport Dockyard in March 1956. Photo Frank Jones

 


Diana ??

     Due to the fact that there were no carriages to be heated in factories, quarries or mines, industrial locomotives were rarely converted into stationary boilers,.
     but an exception was this 0-6-0T named Diana. The locomotive. is an MSC (Manchester Ship Canal) industrial, similar to No. 32 'Gothenburg' on the East Lancs   Railway.
     Unfortunately the caption details came adrift from the picture en route to the RM. If the owner, or any other viewer can further supply details we will update this text.
     Photo: K H Rose
         


Didcot

    Thanks to  a new lease of life as a stationary boiler, 1076 class No. 1287 survived to become the last GW double-framed pannier tank in existence.
    Dating from the 1870's it was withdrawn in 1939, reinstated because of World War2 and then, in 1946 overhauled for seven years of SB duty. it is
    seen on Swindon dump on September 4, 1953. Photo: Neville Stead

 

 


 

Doncaster Works 1

    A remarkable line up of Ivatt Atlantic boilers at the back of Doncaster Carriage Works on May 17, 1953.
    Left to Right: SB790 (ex. loco No.4444);  SB798 (ex. loco No. 3296); SB796 (ex. loco No. 4437);
    SB 809 (ex. loco 4434); SB 810 (ex. loco 4413). Photo: Neville Stead

 

Doncaster Works 2

     In contrast to Doncaster Works 1, Ivatt Atlantics Nos. 3274 & 3285 were retained as complete locomotives and stood adjacent to Doncaster Works Crimpsall
     Shop for a number of years after the war. Interestingly, they were joined together like Siamese twins by both steam and water pipes to effectively form a single
     boiler. Pictured on November 26 1950, they had both been withdrawn from service on May 2nd 1946 and were cut up in March 1952.
     Photo: Neville Stead Collection



Doncaster Works 3

     Still with numberplate attached, the boiler of J5 0-6-0 No.65484 outside Doncaster Works paintshop on January 11 1959.
     Photo: Neville Stead Collection

 



Doncaster MPD

   
 Several references have been made during the compilation of our directory to the ex. C1 and C2 Atlantic boilers in SB use at Doncaster works, but
     these two were photographed at the rear of the town's ex.GNR running shed on May 15, 1966 and have defeated attempts to identify them. The
     photographer seems to recall that they were still in use at that time and that the one on the right looked as though it might have come from a D2 4-4-0.
     Photo: Dave Glossop
 



Doncaster Works C1

     This gem has been unearthed by our survey. It was taken at Doncaster Works in 1964 and shows an ex.C1 Atlantic frame on which is mounted
     a boiler believed to have been used at one time on a Gresley P1 2-8-2?.  Photo: Barry Collins
    
May have been anA1/A2 Pacific style diagram 117 boiler.

 


 

Edinburgh Princes Street 1

    This photo full of detail and character, does much to portray the existence of the stationary boiler: With chimney extension smoking well and fire irons
     and paddles propped against the cab, D1 4-4-0 No.62685 Malcolm Graeme stands in Edinburgh Princes Street Station while serving the Caledonian
     Hotel on December 14, 1961.  Photo: Stuart Sellar
 

 

 

Edinburgh Princes Street 2

     Another photograph of 62685 at Edinburgh Princes Street Station on August 6, 1961, before the chimney was interfered with.
    
Photo: Alan Inckle

 

 

 

Edinburgh St. Margaret's 1

   
 The brick built "cab" of  a previously SB can be seen next to the diesel shunters as its replacement J3 0-6-0 No.65234 stands on one of the
     turntable roads at St. Margaret's Edinburgh, on November 15, 1964. Photo: Neville Stead Collection

 

 

Edinburgh St. Margaret's 2

     N15 0-6-2T No. 69128 at St. Margaret's MPD on July 26, 1964.  Photo:  Ian Lander
 

 

 

Edinburgh St. Margaret's 3

     Class J83 0-6-0T No. 68477 at St. Margaret's MPD on August 12th 1962. Photo: Roger Jay

 

 



Edinburgh St. Margaret's 4

    Class J3 0-6-0 No. 65234 at St. Margaret's MPD on Mat 20th 1965. Photo: Alan Thornell

 

 



Garston Dock

    Former L&YR 2F saddle tank No.51397 was used at Liverpool's Garston  Dock for heating banana vans to help the fruit ripen. It performed that role from
    1960 to 1965 and the loco is seen on July 29, 1964. Photo: P Conroy

 

 

Gateshead 1

     Not all ladders were permanently affixed: This ex.LNER J25 No.65658 at the west end of Gateshead MPD in the early 1950's. 
     Photo: Peascliffe Collection

 



Gateshead 2

      Another fine shot of 65658 at Gateshead MPD on 26th August 1954.
      Photo: Brian Morrison



 

 

Glasgow Buchanan Street

     Standard   Class 4 2-6-4T No.80057 at Buchanan Street, Glasgow on May 2, 1966
     Photo: Alan Thornell

 

 

 

 


Glasgow Cowlairs

     In the depths of Cowlairs Works could be found these two unidentified ex.NBR Atlantic boilers, photographed on June 9, 1957.
     Photo:  Stuart Sellar

 


 

Gloucester Horton Road David Smith

   
 Discarded like a carcase, the remains of an SB at Horton Road, Gloucester, during the depot's partial demolition.
     Photo:  David Smith

 

Hessle

     Hessle, west of Hull, had a water-softening plant, whose boiler would appear to have been under repair during the summer of 1947. Ex. NER Class 6
     4-4-2 No.2939 which was on the verge of withdrawal, was therefore supplied by Dairycoates MPD as a temporary replacement.
     Photo: Neville Stead Collection

 

Heysham Harbour

    BR 5MT 4-6-0 No.44915 bereft of connecting rods stands next to "long term" stationary boiler at Heysham Harbour on 6th June 1968
   Details of boiler required please.  Photo: Peter Jones
     




Horwich Works

     Ex  L&YR 0-4-4T at Horwich Works on 18th August 1963. (Number not recorded - help required please)
     Photo: John J G Wilson (copyright Alan Inckle).

 


 

Inverness

     Former McIntosh 0-4-4T No.55269 on stationary boiler duties at Inverness in July 1962.
     Photo: Highland Railway Society/Am Baile

 



Inverurie Works


    Former NBR J88 0-6-0T No. 68332 being used as a stationary boiled at Inverurie Works on 18th April 1964.
    Photo:  Unknown

 


 


Kilmarnock BR CCE Plant Depot   

     Photographed in April 1975 (further information required please). Photo: Jim Davidson

 

 


Kings Cross MPD

     LNER K2 2-6-0 No. 61756 on stationary boiler duties at  Kings Cross MPD on 15th April 1962.
     Photo: Phil Bosworth (copyright Alan Inckle)

 

 

 


 Langley Junction

     When King's Cross shed closed, its stationary boiler, K3 2-6-0 No.61912 was moved to Peterborough to perform a similar function
     at New England. The transfer was undertaken on June 15, 1963, by A3 No.60112 St. Simon, seen towing the loco along the East
     Coast Main Line at Langley Junction. Photo: David Percival
 

Leamington

     GWR Class 2021 0-6-0 PT No.2067 seen at Leamington MPD (date unknown).
     Photo: Vaughan Gallois
 

 

Liverpool Edge Hill   

Edge Hill carriage sheds, Liverpool on August 4, 1964 showing and unidentified L&YR stationary boiler. Photo: Peter Spilsbury




Liverpool Downhill

     Occasionally a boiler would be mounted upon the frames of an old tender rather than be plinthed on the ground. Such was the case at
     Liverpool Downhill carriage sidings where this unidentified example was seen in 1963. Note the "stove" type smokebox doors.
     Photo: P Conroy



 

Maldon

     Perhaps the best known stationery boilers in recent times were the four discovered in 1986 by Engine Shed Society members
     Nick Pigott and Steve Dymond at Maldon, Essex, where they had been used for powering sawmills in a timber yard. Two were
     from GNR Atlantics - one of which now forms the nucleus of the Bluebell Railways "Brighton Atlantic" project, but the other, sadly
     was scrapped at Brightlingsea in the late 1980's. Of the two smaller boilers, one is believed to be from M&GNR loco No.50 and
                                      is based  at Mangapps Farm Railway, while the other is thought to be from an LSWR T10 0-4-44T and is at the Avon Valley Rly.
                                      This photo at Maldon in 1986 shows the condition the disused boilers were in when discovered. Photo: Michael J Collins


Manchester Newton Heath

     Their long lives as stationary boilers over, ex.LYR&YR Barton Wright 0-4-0T's Nos.903 (furthest from camera) and 925 are scrapped
     at Newton Heath MPD in August 1967.  Photo: Graham Ledger


 

Manchester Red Bank

     August 1968 is the date normally given for the withdrawal of the last BR standard steam locomotives, but it's not, strictly
     speaking, the case. For this loco, numbered 2022, remained in SB stock at Red Bank sidings, Manchester, until 1972!
     It is ex.LMS 3F "Jinty" 0-6-0T No.47564 - although the removal of its side tanks and the addition of a full length handrail
     give it the look of a tender locomotive. Does any reader have details of its water supply at Red Bank?
    
Photo: K G Rose

 

Melton Constable

    
On the day the majority of the M&GN system closed in February 1959, J15 0-6-6 No.65466 was still in situ at Melton Constable Works. In addition to the wider
     than usual chimney, note the cab extension (complete with a full length wooden door!). Photo: M Covey-Crump

 

 


Middleton

     Also mounted on an old tender or wagon is the SB at Middleton on the Cromford and High Peak system on August 27, 1963. Note the
     "stove" type smokebox doors. Photo: RM Archive

 


 

Newton Abbot

     Newton Abbot's SB is craned out for disposal in 1966. Can anyone identify it?  Photo: J Drummond Smith

 



 

North Tees

     On boxing Day 1967, K1 2-6-0 No.62005 was hauled by diesel shunter D3143 to North Tees sidings and spent 3 months to March 18, 1968 as a
     stationary boiler supplying steam to Phillips Oil Refinery at Seal Sands, Teesside. The loco was manned by Hartlepool shed firemen who didn't
     particularly relish the job after having become accustomed to driving Class 37 diesels. The K1's dome was removed and scaffolding erected around
     it. As it was not standing on a pit, some difficulty was experienced in disposing or the firebox ash, resulting in burnt rocker bars and distortion of the
    ashpan. While the loco had been on SB duties, BR had taken the opportunity to formally withdraw it on December 30, 1967. On completion of SB duties
                                     No.62005 was towed back to Neville Hill shed pending preservation.  Photo:  John Boyes


Oswestry

     Former Cambrian Railways 0-6-0 No.844 in use as stationary boiler at the rear of Oswestry Works in July 1954. Built by Beyer Peacock in 1918
     it was officially with drawn the following month. Mote how its spare coal supply (which in such cases was almost invariably of inferior quality), is kept
     in a wagon behind the tender.  Photo: RM Archive

 

Oxley

    Ancient and Modern: An incongruous juxtaposition at Wolverhampton Oxley MPD, circa 1970 as Brush Type 4 No.D1744 stands alongside two former
    GWR boilers used to heat the depot's sand furnace. Photo: Rob Grapes

 

 

Peterborough BSC

     Stationary boiler use in the preservation era is almost unheard of, but it did occur in November 1972, when an explosion at  the British Sugar
     Corporation's Peterborough factory necessitated the transfer of Nene Valley Railway based Standard 5MT 4-6-0 No.73050 to act as an
     emergency substitute for eight days.  Photo: Michael Gott




Peterborough New England

     A substantial number of B1's were renumbered into Departmental stock for train heating purposes in the 1960's. Posed against the coaling stage
     at New England MPD in March 1965 is No.25 (ex.61272) . Unlike the older generation of carriage warming devices, they tended to remain mobile
     as complete locomotives. Photo: Strathwood Collection

 

Pontypool Road

     GWR engine sheds did not use as many "complete locomotives" for stationary duties as those of other railways. An exception was 517 class 0-4-2T
     No.3575, which was used at Pontypool Road and Severn Tunnel Junction MPD's in the late 1940's.  Photo: ?????

 

 


Ramsgate 1

    A rare colour study of a stationary boiler locomotive: Class D 4-4-0 No.31501, which was based at Ramsgate from March 1958 to early 1960, it is pictured in\
    the company of main line locos, including N15 No. 30793 on May 28, 1959. Notice 3 of the common traits of SB's - one driving wheel wheelset removed, the
    steam fed taken from the dome and a wooden cab extension with adjustable side and roof sheets to assist in the control of draughting. Photo: R C Riley
 

Ramsgate 2

     Stirling 0-6-0 No.98 performs duty as a stationary boiler at Ramsgate Carriage Sheds.
     Photo: N Stead - Courtesy "The Southern Way"


 



Saltley

     This rare photo proves that some SB's had their steam feed taken from the safety valve/whistle area of the boiler rather than from  the dome or through the smokebox
     side. It shows ex.LNWR "Cauliflower" No.58377 at work on Saltley MPD on November 29, 1953.
     Photo: F W Smith

 


Slade Green

      Marsh Class A2 4-4-2 No.32425 "Trevose Head" at Slade Green Depot on February 2nd 1957.
      Photo: W N J Jackson

 

 


Slateford 1

     Supplying steam to the LMS Hotel laundry in Slateford Road, Edinburgh on July 31, 1964, is D49 4-4-0 Shire No.62712 Morayshire. This locomotive
     was more fortunate than most SB's and is now preserved.  Photo:  Stuart Sellar

 

 


Slateford 2

     Another view of 62712 at Slateford Road on August 4th 1961..
     Photo: Alan Inckle  

 

 

 

Stirling

      55222 Caledonian Railway 2P 0-4-4T in store at Stirling in the summer of 1958. This locomotive had been used (as No. 55212 ) as a
      stationary boiler at Stirling Cow Park during 1952.  Photo: Vaughan Gallas

 

 

Stooperdale  Boiler Shop

     This high pressure Yarrow water-tube boiler formerly fitted to Sir Nigel Gresley's "Hush-Hush" 4-6-4, in use at Stooperdale boiler shops (part of LNER's
     Darlington Works) in 1964. The unique assembly lasted until 1965.  Photo: Ken Hoole Collection

 



Stratford 1

     L3 2-6-4T No.69060 is pictured at Stratford Works on August 30 1957, just after its SB duties had finished. It too has a "box" that previously supported a tall chimney.
     Photo: Neville Stead Collection

 

Stratford 2

     Bufferless and with part of its tender faring missing, D16 4-4-0 No.62588 is seen in use as an SB at Stratford on October 13 1958.
     Note that it appears to be protected from accidental movement by a bufferstop inserted in the middle of the siding.
      Photo: Neville Stead Collection

 


Stratford 3

     Class N1 0-6-2T No.69461 was deployed at Shoeburyness on carriage heating duties between November 1954 and June 1962. Stripped of its tall
     chimney after use, it is seen at Stratford on February 26 1963. Photo: Nigel Munday

 


Stratford 4

     Eastern Region D16 Class 4-4-0 No.62536 displays tell-tale signs of former SB use, including the square base of a former chimney extension.
     Photo: Nigel Munday (apologies for poor reproduction - Tony Booth)


Stratford 5

     Eastern Region J17 Class 0-6-0 No. 65574 is seen at Stratford (Date unknown).
     Photo: Vaughan Gallois


 

Swindon

     Thanks to a new life as a stationary boiler, 1076 class 0-6-0PT No.1287 survived to become the last GWR double-framed pannier tank in existence.
     Dating from the 1870's, it was withdrawn in 1939, reinstated because of the war and the, in 1946, overhauled for seven years of SB duty. It is seen
     on Swindon dump on September 4, 1953.  Photo:  Neville Stead   


Swindon Works

  Taff Vale Railway "A" Class GWR No. 394 at Swindon Works in 1956  prior to moving to Bridgewater to act as
  stationary boiler. Photo: Brian Penny
 

 

 

Thornton Fields

     This anonymous boiler was photographed near Thornton Fields Carriage Sidings, East London on June 19 1966. It has been
     suggested that it looks like a boiler from an "Austerity" saddle tank.
     Further identification would be appreciated. Photo: R N Pritchard

 

 

Thornton Junction  1

     ex. LNER J36  0-6-0 No.65345 supplying steam at Scottish Region's Thornton Junction depot on August 4, 1964.
   
 This loco was replaced by 65934 (see below). Photo:  Ken Webb   
    

 

 


Thornton Junction  2

     Withdrawn  ex.LNER J38 0-6-0 No.65934 supplying steam at Scottish Region's Thornton Junction depot on January 8, 1967.
    
This loco replaced 65345 (see above).  Photo:  R N Pritchard   

 

 


Thornton Junction 3

   Withdrawn  ex.LNER J38 0-6-0 No.65934 supplying steam at Scottish Region's Thornton Junction depot (undated).
    
This loco replaced 65345 (see above).  Photo:  Dave Page

 

 

 


Thornton Junction 4

  
    Withdrawn ex. LNER J36 0-6-0 No. 65327 at Thornton Junction Depot in February 1966
    Photo: Alan Grange



 

Woodford Halse

     J39 0-6-0 No. 64747 at Woodford Halse (date unknown). This locomotive was withdrawn in October 1962 and used as a
     stationary boiler at Woodford Halse until 1964.  Photo: Vaughan Gallois

 

 

Worcester Loco Factory

      Rhymney Railway "R" Class GWR No.35 outside Worcester Loco Factory in 1957. Used as stationary boiler November 1956 to early 1958
      Photo: Peter Lunn

 

 

Please contact me at tonybooth333@btinternet.com with any comments, information or new photographs

Free counter and web stats